Wild Horse Spirit Ltd.
      2-27-2002 Bugz down and unable to get up   2-27-99 Bugz, scooting on rear. She could no longer continue in the wild. This was her last stop         
            2-27-99 Bugz, about 6 months old, was "down", scooting on rear-end, but couldn't
           get up. Her last stop in the wild. Her thick, baby coat hid her extreme malnutrition.
             Survivor...1998 Christmas holiday wild
horse slaughter in northern Nevada
See Video Clip below -Photo-"Bugz not steady on her feet"  
           Trial Date 1-7-2002 Set for Three Defendants
          PLEA-BARGAINING/Sentencing  to lesser charges 2-11-2002 -Alvin -Was Justice Served?

CAROL and Leo, friends of the wild ones, frequently traveled over an old dirt road through the sagebrush along western side of the Virginia Range between Hidden Valley and Virginia Foothills communities just east of Reno/Sparks NV to visit and photograph wild horses, particularly some of their favorite ones.

On Saturday afternoon, 2-27-99, as they meandered down the road, they saw a little dark filly grazing. They continued on their usual course. When they returned along this same route. Carol, suddenly and insistently, asked her husband, Leo, to stop. Carol got out and began walking through the sagebrush toward a band of wild horses in the distance. She came upon the little dark filly they had seen earlier grazing on the side of the road, but now she was lying down, hidden amongst tall sagebrush and unable
 to get up.

3-6-99 Bugz's eye shows the stress of her ordeal to survive in the wild.  Now at the vets.      3-4-99 Bugz at vets. Heavy winter coat hides emaciation. She still has problems standing up and must be helped up if she falls
(left) 3-6-99 Bugz's stressed eye.    
3-4-99 Bugz's winter coat hides emaciation.

A network of people who love the wild ones went into action. Carol and Leo cell-phoned Shirley who lives in Hidden Valley and watches over the wild horses in this area. Shirley cell-phoned Betty, a volunteer from Wild Horse Spirit, who was still in Hidden Valley area after helping Shirley and Jean that day to repair a fence that keeps the wild ones safely out of the community proper. Meanwhile, other people began to stop. One man was on his way home to the Virginia Foothills community after a week driving a long haul truck across the country. He was familiar with 3-Socks’ band of wild horses who had been mustanged from his community in February 1997. He loved the horses and offered his help, too.

When Betty reached the area, she walked several hundred feet from the road up toward the filly. She pushed up on her front legs, but could not use her back legs. She scooted around on her hind quarters trying to get away from us humans.

Had she been hit by a car and now had serious injuries to her pelvis, back, legs? Most of all would we be able to help her? To "put down" a wild one was our last option. She was about 6-months-old, with a long dark fuzzy winter coat.

3-7-99 Bugz at vets. Her baby fuzzy winter coat hides her near death emaciation.     3-7-99 Bugz's hind legs began to slip out from under her. Bobbi carefully helps to straighten her back legs beneath her.
(left) 3-7-99 still not steady on her back legs.  
3-7-99 Bobbi helps Bugz up
by straighten her back legs. 

Betty cell-phoned Bobbi at Wild Horse Spirit, requesting that she contact the vet and Steve, our trainer, for his help and to bring his trailer. Meanwhile, hay was carefully placed close to her. So as not to disturb her, we then backed up. She settled down. Still lying down, she slowly and cautiously reached with an outstretched neck to munch on the hay. This, indeed, was a positive sign from her to us. A small band of bachelor wild horses was close by her. A young sorrel bachelor made his way to her and began to nibble her neck while she lay there. This young stallion was trying to get her to stand up, but she was unable to do so. We discouraged him and he rejoined his buddies close by.

Our regular vet was not on call that late evening. Because of the short winter days, it would soon be dark. Bobbi was able to contact a vet recommended by Shirley who lives in Washoe Valley, too. The vet graciously consented to come. Bobbi met her in the Virginia Foothills and she followed Bobbi along the old dirt road to where the little filly lay. Steve had already arrived with his trailer. Carol and Leo and the long-haul truck driver stayed to help. The vet approached the filly and started a preliminary exam. Even though the filly was reluctant and fearful at first, she calmed down. The vet gave her pain medication. The vet examined her more thoroughly for any signs of injuries to her back and legs. There appeared to be no fractures or soft tissue injuries. We all arrived at the "right and perfect" solution that she not be euthanized, but to give her a chance as she was alert and eagerly willing to munch hay. By that time it was dark. We cleared glass, cans and old bedsprings for a safe path for the trailer. With the aid of flashlights, Steve pulled his trailer through the sand and sagebrush to where the filly lay.

Under the calm, moon light and starry sky, the filly was lifted and placed into the back of the trailer by all those wonderful people who stayed to help her. We traveled in a caravan to the vet’s. Once there, she was again lifted and carried into a stall. She drank eagerly from a bucket of water placed close to her head as she was not to be able to get up. Hay was provided. It would be a couple of days or so before we would know how she was going to do and why she could not get up. It was close to 11PM. We reluctantly had to leave her for the night.

3-19-99 Bugz at the vets. Her heavy winter coat hides her severe mal-nutrition  3-27-99 Betty taking Bugz on walks for exercise to help regain strength and muscle mass
3-19-99 Her winter coat still hides her severe malnutrition.
(right) 3-27-99 Betty taking Bugz for short walks for exercise and strengthening.

BUGZ was loaded with ticks and parasites. Above all, she was severely anemic (Hgb 5.3). Her thick long winter coat had hidden extreme mal-nourishment and starvation. Her Body Condition Score (UCD) was a one out of nine, meaning "poor. No fat or muscle mass. No wonder she could not get up. She had reached her final destination in the wild. That night and the next day, the vet began to de-tick and de-worm her. Over 200 winter ticks were eventually removed from underneath her thick winter coat. All internal parasites were eliminated.

BUGZ, could not get up. On the following Monday after that Saturday, Shirley from Washoe Valley and the vet, lifted her to her feet. Her legs, particularly the back legs, were wobbly and weak. She would easily fall.  She had to be physically lifted to a stand each time. Slowly over the next days, she was able to stand and walk without falling. She began to get up and down on her own. She would walk slowly, her back legs still weak. Over the next several weeks, she became stronger. Bugz had a good appetite but would eat only hay or grass and lick her mineral block. She absolutely turned her nose up at carrots, apples and every kind of grain offered to her. She apparently wanted some control in her life, a typical wild horse.

Eventually, Bugz and Betty went for slow walks up a winding dirt road, stopping along the way while she grabbed quick bites of forage. On the way back to her corral, we would stop in a particular grassy area. Betty would lay down close by watching her munch green grass. A long lead rope allowed her some freedom. With the walks she slowly began to regain muscle mass and strength. One day, we were slowly returning down the steep dirt road. She began to move ahead. Suddenly, Betty felt a thud to her right thigh. Bugz had cow kicked her. She only wanted Betty to hurry up to get to the bottom of the hill where all the green grass was.

5-7-99 -Bugz still recovering at the vets-now in a daytime outside corral grazing on grass       5-7-99 Bugz in a daytime corral that allows her to graze on grass.  Improving but still emaciated and now loosing her thick winter coat
5-7-99 Close-up of Bugz's beautiful head.
5-7-99 Bugz beginning to loose fuzzy winter coat.

How Bugz came about is human speculation but we have a pretty good idea what happened. Bugz is a survivor of the 1998 Christmas Holiday Virginia Range wild horse slaughter just east of Hidden Valley area. It had been two months since the shootings. Likely, Bugz was well nourished from her mother’s milk at the time her mother was killed. She was able to survive through the winter months of January and February 1999. Even with the help of the bachelors who befriended her, she finally could no longer go on. We know that Pegasus looked over her and guided the bachelor band with her to the right and perfect place, time and players to get help. One more day and Pegasus would have taken her upon his wings to rejoin her mother, family and friends.

5-20-99 Bugz returning with Betty after an exercise walk.  5-20-99 Bugz now in the trailer ready to go home to WHS. Betty rode in the trailer with her to help reduce any stress.
5-20-99 With patience and calmness Bugz loaded like a champ into trailer   5-20-99 Bugz calmly unloading at home at WHS
May 20, 1999 - Bugz loads into trailer at the vets and 
travels to her new home at Wild Horse Spirit. 

5-20-99 Shelby greets and welcomes Bugz nose to nose at WHS.   5-20-99 Shelby and Bugz getting acquainted at WHS
Bugz is greeted by Shelby    
All ┬ęPhotos by Betty Kelly.

On 5-20-99, Bugz loaded into the trailer at the vets like a real wild horse champ. She came home to Wild Horse Spirit to continue her recovery. Betty rode in the trailer with her while Bobbi drove. She is a blooming flower now. She tries to run, half buck and shakes her head. Her well bedded stall is next to Shelby, a Virginia Range wild horse mare, who has been a godmother to other little wild ones. She finally began to eat Omoline 300 about ten days ago. We would spread a little over her alfalfa. Suddenly, it seemed to be gone. She had her hooves trimmed as she was getting a little early morning stifling in the back legs. After she has eaten her early morning feed, each morning she gets her halter on and is lead out of her corral. She has free run of the property for exercise and grass to munch on. Recently, she and Shelby went out into the small pasture area together for the first time. We are beginning to see some muscle return around her chest and rump. No longer is she like petting a carcass with a fur coat. Dr. Peacock wants her to get stronger before she is immunized. We expect at least a year for her to regain the muscle mass and fat she lost during those two months and to keep up with her normal baby growth.

Thanks to the compassion, concern and help on that Saturday evening and night from humans, plus her brothers, the bachelors, Bugz is doing well for her ordeal. She is truly as cute as a bug. If only she could tell us her story, but we believe she has.
     Wild Horse Spirit  June 15, 1999

Bugz's Photo Update
June 1999
6-12-99 Bugz running through the gates and showing her wild horse spirit 6-12-99 Bugz showing off 6-12-99 Bugz finally has some muscle about her rump and is swishing her thick tail Bugz enjoying the grass at WHS 
Bugz  finds a new safe and protected life at Wild Horse Spirit. 
June 1999 Bugz plays, runs and grazes at Wild Horse Spirit in Washoe Valley, NV.

┬ęPhotos by Betty Kelly

June 2000
6-14-2000 about a year later after she came to WHS, Bugz and Spirit are enjoying a playful run in the arena, bucking and snorting 
Bugz and Spirit running together in the arena. 
Oh, Bugz, "You have come a long way, baby!"

Wild Horse Spirit Ltd.
25 Lewers Creek Road
Carson City, NV 89704
(775) 883-5488

Return to Top    
Return/Go to "Meet The Spirits" page
Return to Home Page